Tuesday, November 4, 2014

No Vinyl Wood Signs

Homemade Christmas Series


This will be a quick post. I just came across this picture of some plaques I made for gifts last Christmas. 


Did you know you don't need to order vinyl to make your own decorative wood signs?


Just choose some cute scrap book paper.

Cut it down to printer paper size (11 x 13).

Create your cute saying in Word- have fun with different fonts and sizes. 

Print onto scrap book paper.
(I did a test print on regular paper first to make sure it was exactly how I wanted it.)

Trim the scrap book paper to fit the shape of the wood sign.

Paint the wood (at least the edges that will be showing.)

Mod Podge paper onto wood. First apply mod podge to wood then stick paper on, smoothing out any air bubbles. Then apply mod podge with foam brush all over top of paper and around sides of the wood to seal the paper on. 

After the mod podge is completley dry, dry brush a coordinating paint along edges to give an antique look. (Try gold or silver for a fun festive look.)


I found these wood plaques at Walmart, but you could apply printed scrap book paper to just about any surface. 

I gave the top sign to my dad, the biggest fisherman I know. And the bottom one was a gift to my husband to hang in our bedroom. 

Happy Homemade Gifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment